Monday, March 9, 2009

“Everything is sacred”. It came up during our first class as one of the common tenets of paganism and is a phrase I’ve heard often. But now, I wonder if most people believe the statement in the literal sense. I’ve rolled that idea around in my mind and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I suppose it would depend on how you defined sacred.

The definition of Sacred:
1 a: dedicated or set apart for the service or worship of a deity (a tree sacred to the gods)
2 a: worthy of religious veneration: Holy
b: entitled to reverence and respect

If I use these definitions, then I can’t agree that ‘Everything is Sacred’. Even without the dictionary, were I to say something was sacred to me, would mean that it held a greater importance. That it was set apart from the mundane. So, not everything can be sacred.

But, as with many things, it could simply be an argument of semantics. Maybe, when people say ‘Everything is Sacred’, they mean that ‘Everything is worthy of respect’. I would find that an easier philosophy to work with. Do others have an opinion on this?



CMS Class 1 Journal homework
Why are you here? What do you want to learn about magic and paganism? What do you hope to gain from this program?
These are good questions. Like a compass used to orient yourself in nature, questions like these can direct you on your spiritual journey.

I would say that I am participating in this class to re-connect and further explore the foundations of my spiritual path.

I already have a good base of knowledge in both magic and paganism. Through the lessons offered and group discussions, I hope to expand that knowledge. People are a wealth of information and participating in a class of this type can bring new ideas and a deeper understanding of basic philosophies.

I’m hoping the class will help me to review the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment