Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bide the Wiccan Law ye must
In Perfect Love and Perfect Trust
Eight words the Rede fulfill
An it harm none, do what ye will
Lest in thy self defense it be
Ever mind the rule of three
Follow this with mind and heart,
And merry ye meet, and merry ye part.

I think I first read this version of the rede in one of Amber K’s books on Wicca. It was also the version taught to me when I first started on my path. I prefer it to other versions simply because of the part about defense. I think it’s important for people to understand, even in Wicca, that it’s ok to stop someone from hurting you.

In the end, I believe most of the classic poems in Wicca were written to help us understand and follow certain basic philosophies of life. Don’t hurt other people. Don’t let other people hurt you. Try to live in harmony with the world. Be aware of your actions and their consequences. There are certainly more, but these are the ones that leap to mind.

In the earlier years of Wicca, it seems that you heard more about the ethics surrounding it’s practice. Maybe, because I’m not much involved in the community, I don’t hear it anymore. In the middle 80’s there was a “Pagan Code of Chivalry” floating around. I don’t remember it precisely, but I do remember thinking it was a good guide…and many of us in the community didn’t live by it.
Is it a good thing that the Wiccan Rede seems to be our only outline for ethics? I dunno.

CMS Journal Homework Class 2

What do you think Warlock means? And why do you think there is a discrepancy in the meaning?

Had I been asked this question 20 years ago, I would have given the popular TV answer: A warlock is a male witch who uses his powers for selfish and nefarious goals. During the class, we explored some of the history around the word and the idea that the word originally meant ‘Oath Breaker’. Most etymology seems to date the word around the 14th century. I could speculate the reason the word became associated with men is because, during the times, only men practiced arts like Alchemy or Astrology. (I acknowledge there may have been a very rare few women who learned these arts as well) These disciplines may have been highly respected but eventually were condemned by the church.

So, any man who continued to practice these condemned sciences might have been perceived as one who had broken faith with God. An Oath Breaker.

Personally, I think I like this definition best:
In the North East of England there is another definition, "taken from Old Norse rather than Old English, and comes from 'varth-lokkr' meaning (essentially) 'one who locks (something) in' or 'one who encloses'." As a term of honour, it is used to describe "an exorcist or a magician who traps and disposes of unwanted entities".

No comments:

Post a Comment